Thank you First Alert for sponsoring this post.
As you prepare for the holiday season, have you taken a moment to check your fire and carbon monoxide alarms to make sure they’re working?
- 1 of every 4 home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems
- A heat source too close to the tree causes 1 in every 4 Christmas tree fires
- The top 3 days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Christmas Eve
When Kenny was just 5 months old I had a very scary encounter with a potential fire. The heating vents in his room (we were renting at the time) started smoking, it was late at night , I was in the basement doing laundry and the alarms starting going off from the second floor. I can’t even begin to explain the fear that came over me as I sprinted into his room to grab him and go outside. He was still half asleep and I was in a t shirt and shorts as we were shivering outside but I was just so thankful to have been able to save him from smoke inhalation and a potential fire. I called our landlord just thanking him for installing new smoke detectors before we moved in. If it wasn’t for the new smoke and carbon monoxide alarm that was installed, the outcome could’ve been much worse.
Smoke Alarm Safety Tips
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside every bedroom and sleeping area
- Install smoke alarms in the main corridor outside each bedroom area
- Mount smoke alarms in the middle of the ceiling when ceiling mounted
Whether you own or rent, you should always check if your alarms are working. You can find other other tips here to keep your family safe.
The First Alert 10-Year Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (PRC710) has a lifespan of 10 years with a 10 year sealed battery. Other than keeping my family safe, a feature that I love is not having the annoying low battery chirps (you know, the chirp that drives us crazy at random times of the day or at night?!) The slimmer look of this alarm is great for a less noticeable look in major parts of the house too. Both sleek and safe as well as a 10 year lifespan, whats not to love about this alarm created by a trusted company!
Click here to see the list of major retailers that sell First Alert products (my personal favorite, is Amazon)
Hope you all have a safe and happy holidays!